Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Johnny on the Rocks

What are metal dreams?

For a time, I didn't think there was any need for my fine good old friend, Johnny and the lesser friend, Jack. But several news had recently made me wanna pop the cork (there is no cork, yeah I know).

News #1

I got served my first memo for a dress that nobody understood. I was playing ethnic and bohemian chic. But apparently, all everybody saw was a "daster" similar to what manangs wear in the comfort of their own homes. Thus, my memo was born.

At first, I didn't think I was applying for a company that fined you for cutting-edge clothing that was threading on the worst-dressed gwen stephani style sans the blue hair. My old friend complained, "What is this?! Vogue?!" True enough that we didn't work in a fashion magazine, but people here are of very small minds and most are ball-less. It doesn't sit well to see their employees expressing themselves in such an attire.

It is important to note that had someone else worn that dress or any of my risque dresses, it would not have been noticed. They are picking on me, yes. But what does it matter? They can fire me if they want. God knows I'm not paid enough. Hell, that dress doesn't show a shred of sexyness. Today, I wore something of the slutty kind with a jacket. That passed. Hmm... food for thought.

Here is what my memo looks like:

Dear Ms. Nineveh,

This letter is to serve as notice that you are in danger of violating the provisions of your probationary employment with us regarding the required dress code to be worn during office hours.

As per your job offer, your probationary period is supposed to last until blah blah. During your job offer ity was made clear that the company's dress code was to be followed; that is, business casual from Monday to Thursday with Friday being designatedas laundry day and therefore "free-dress".

To date you have been verbally reminded twice regarding your non-observance of this rule. Today marks your third verbal warning direcly after yesterday's violation of the same rule.

Please be mindful of these provisions in the future.

Thank you,
HR Director

**************************************

According to my friend who also received a similar notice, albeit not for his dress code, confessed that the said memo was indeed a template. Unfortunate as to the fact that I didn't even TRY to be bad and here I was with a memo. I guess I am naturally bad... which isn't all that bad but it could be worse.

My old friend is stressed out about it. But I am quite happy with what I have achieved. I am not nearly devastated enough to care about it at all. It is not the first time that I've been in the "hot seat" for my uncompromising motto of "I shall not live in fear!" And to quote Erin Brocovich, "So long as I have one ass, instead of two, I will damn wear whatever I want."

I like the work I do. It is not important for me to feel loved by the people around here. It was hard at first, but I finally internalized that this place is not my comfort zone. This is a war zone right here. It not a cushy seat to be one of the footsoldiers. But hey, it starts at the bottom and winds it way to the top. It is unfortunate for the Queen to have surrounded herself with people who have little minds and practically no balls. Perhaps it is my fault that they don't like me. I am not impressed by their deeds and have refused to feign such actions. It is not befitting my character. My sisters raised me right.

Perhaps they will fire me after my probationary period. Of course, I live with another motto: "I will not quit, you must fire me!" It's the call centers' fault. If I get fired, I could always get a new job with a way way way better pay. I've already realized that I will not get anywhere with this company. Penny commented that "Ang liit liit na nga ng opisina niyo, ang lakas pa rin ng politika." True enough.

News # 2

My ex passed the UP LAE. I'm ecstatic. There is nothing in the world that can make me sad tonight. Nothing. Absolutely NOTHING.

No comments: